Saturday, August 18, 2018

Tips for Preparing for Surgery

Surgery can seem scary and preparations may feel overwhelming. However, with some planning and tips, it can go pretty smoothly. I have had multiple surgeries of various types. I find myself once again preparing for more surgery. This time, it will be my first shoulder surgery. Thus, although I know the basics of preparing for surgery, there are some things I am less certain regarding shoulder recovery.

Scheduling
Surgery is scheduled, pre-op physical with primary care physician is scheduled and completed. Physical therapy is scheduled to start one week post-op as surgeon directed, and we scheduled out the first couple of weeks post-op, will refine once we know details after surgery. I scheduled an appointment with primary care for post-op to remove sutures since surgeon OK'd this. The first two post-op appointments with my surgeon are also already scheduled. I was already scheduled and fitted for the sling for after surgery.

Planning
This includes surgery planning with surgeon, anesthesiologist, and the rest of the medical team. But, it is also my planning regarding what I need to have done prior to surgery. For the orthopedic surgery center this surgery will be and my last couple of surgeries took place, I need to complete and submit an online pre-op form in addition to the form my primary care doctor needs to fill out at the physical. I will need to pick up hard copies of the form from primary care to take with me. I called and spoke with an anesthesiologist at the surgery center, verifying they are aware I need some extra precautions, but that what they did last time worked well.

Meals
I try to plan and prepare some meals prior to surgery to take some stress of from early recovery. I also know a lot of times I am tired, not very hungry, but need the nutrients, so plan nutrient dense, easy snacks. For me, this means a batch of homemade granola bars with protein powder added for a boost. Carrot sticks and peanut butter, bell pepper strips and hummus, celery and mix of peanut butter and cream cheese, hard boiled eggs, plain Greek yogurt, cheese, fruit and nuts, etc. Smoothies are super easy--Greek yogurt, frozen fruit, or frozen banana, peanut butter, milk. Soups, broth, etc. I strive to emphasize protein and veggies, minimize sugar for the final weeks before and initial months after surgeries. This is my first surgery not living alone, thus also having to make sure there is enough to feed everyone. Plan is a large batch of chili, and one of chicken and green beans. These can then be portioned and frozen, thawed, reheated as needed. After surgery, I really try to emphasize protein and veggies to support healing. (Resources listed below!)

Medications
Surgeon typically prescribes medications for post-op. However, I am already on other medications. I need to make sure I have everything refilled and on hand prior to surgery. I also need to make sure additional ones for aiding recovery are also on hand. Stool softeners can be needed for some--with me pain medications do not bother, but anesthesia does. With last surgery, we started probiotics a month prior to surgery and started stool softener after surgery as I normally do as proactive step, had to stop next day as things did not need any help and I was heading toward opposite issue. I have already started probiotics again this time, too, but will still plan on having stool softener available.

Miscellaneous
Making sure no trip hazards or anything, checking to verify my ice machine is still in working order after being unused a few months, after constant use after two hip surgeries. Making sure I have water bottles frozen to chill the ice machine, that my ice packs are all frozen and ready.

Recovery
I set up a recovery station for after surgeries. It is somewhere comfortable (bed is usual location), with power strip for phone cord, laptop cord, ice machine cord, night light, etc. This time, we rearranged a bit to make sure I have option of either bed or zero gravity chair, both right next to power strip. When I was asking my physical therapist for tips, he said bed is not likely to go well, plan on recliner. Well, I do not have a recliner but do have a zero gravity lawn chair I have used after hip surgeries. He said with pillows that should be just fine.

Surgery Clothing
Clothing has a way of being more complicated after surgery. I am still not exactly certain what will work best to wear to/from a shoulder surgery, but will be finding out! I will probably end up in shorts and tank top, slip on shoes, lightweight hoodie along if needed. With shoulder painful now, I live in shorts and tank tops as tank tops can be stepped into and pulled up from the bottom sort of like pants. This is much easier than trying to get on overhead as normal. Some of my larger, stretchier t-shirts let me step in and pull up, too. However, they tend to be harder to get arms situated than with tank tops.

Mental and Emotional
I suspect many are aware that surgery requires physical healing. It is trauma to the body even if it is planned, controlled, directed. However, the surgery and anesthesia can take a toll mentally and emotionally. The recovery process can also require resilience. Part of my pre-op ritual includes celebrating the day before surgery everything I can do no matter how limited, knowing I will lose it all the next day. However, I know the loss will be temporary and with time and work, the ability can be regained. I do need to be realistic about expectations and time frames. I can be a limit pusher, but tend to be very cautious after surgery to avoid compromising recovery. I have to remind myself that recovery is worth being patient and letting my body heal at its own pace. I do my best to support my body with good nutrition, what activity I can do, mental health, etc. I think it worth mentioning at this point that surgery is not the time to be worrying about weight gain/loss. The focus needs to be on healing. Healing takes more energy, even if not very active. Thus good nutrition is important. (See resources below.)

Travel
Surgery will take place out of state again. Thus, planning for travel as well as for surgery. This means hotel reservations, driver for long distance travel, not just trip to/from surgery. I will bring my ice/cooling machine with me for use in the hotel as I have done with hip surgeries. But, this time we are planning to try running it in the car as well on the return trip after surgery. I will also bring instant ice packs.

Shopping list ideas/links
Tank tops that velcro! I was given a couple of these to try. So nice!
Slip-on shoes These were invaluable after hip surgeries, but suspecting it will be a while before tying shoes after shoulder surgery as well.
Zero gravity chair I got mine on sale locally, but this looks the same. I love mine and have used it so much. A body pillow makes the perfect cushion.
Ice machine This is the one I have and it is still going strong. Totally worth the investment.
Protein powder This is the one I have used most, is unflavored so can be used in almost anything, has no crazy additives that bother allergies pr mast cell issues for me.
Shower seat This one looks like mine. Uncertain if it is the same. Really not sure if this is even needed. I have mine from hip surgeries, so will see.

Nutrition for recovery resources
Nutrition for injury recovery (applicable to healing from surgery)
Pre- and post-op nutrition
Nutrition for healing

With some advance planning, surgery can be made less stressful. This allows being able to just relax and recover afterward.



Copyright © 2018 by Chronic Wholeness. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Introduction to Chronic Wholeness

I will be writing about chronic illness in the context of wholeness or wellness.  I chose this to be my theme or purpose:  pursuing wholenes...