Monday, March 12, 2018

Easy Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe

One of my many hobbies is playing with recipes to find things that are easy to make, take as little effort as possible, are healthy, inexpensive, etc. I have sensitivities, chronic pain, chronic fatigue, etc. I have to be careful of what I eat, I do not have the stamina to stand or sit long enough to do much food preparation or cooking. I also do not have much to work with in terms of budget. So, it was more or less necessity that drives this hobby. But, it is something I enjoy doing.

I learned to cook by strictly following recipes. However, the more experience I had, the more I learned about food science, nutrition, etc., the more I have become creative with recipes, or simply make things up completely as I go.

From a chronic illness perspective, my slow cooker is the best thing ever! In five minutes or so, I can dump in ingredients, then the slow cooker does the rest of the work for me!


I sometimes put the meat raw into the slow cooker with some of the juice and let the meat cook, then add the rest of the ingredients.  I sometimes brown the meat after starting the vegetables with the juice and seasonings. Ground turkey works well in place of beef. There really is no right or wrong way. The celery seed can be replaced with celery salt. Honestly, all of the seasonings are optional, this is just one of my "all-purpose" combinations. Soups are easy to modify.

I grew up as a really picky eater and still have some texture issues. I am not a fan of frozen vegetables in general, but the slow cooker can get them really tender and to the point my mouth will consider them acceptable.

Copyright © 2018 by Chronic Wholeness. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Introduction to Chronic Wholeness

I will be writing about chronic illness in the context of wholeness or wellness.  I chose this to be my theme or purpose:  pursuing wholenes...